In order to “certify” a lawyer, the Florida Bar uses the requirements:
- ♦ Practice of law for at least 5 years;
- ♦ Substantial involvement in the specialty of civil trial law– 50% or more- during the 3 years immediately preceding application;
- ♦ Handling of at least 15 contested civil cases, including cases before juries as lead counsel and as trier of fact on some or all of the issues;
- ♦ 50 hours of approved civil trial law certification continuing legal education in the 3 years immediately preceding application;
- ♦ Peer review by lawyers and judges the lawyer has tried cases with; and,
- ♦ A written examination on civil procedure, the rules of professional conduct, the rules of evidence, trial procedure and more.
It is a commitment of time and effort that is rare in the profession. It shows that John is, indeed, an expert and specialist in civil trial law.