John M. Phillips is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer. There are only about 1000 total Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyers in the state of Florida out of the 100,000 total lawyers in the State. It is the highest mark of recognition our profession allows.
In order to “certify” a lawyer, the Florida Bar uses the requirements:
- ♦ Practice of law for at least 5 years;
- ♦ Substantial involvement in the specialty of civil trial law– 50% or more- during the 3 years immediately preceding application;
- ♦ Handling of at least 15 contested civil cases, including cases before juries as lead counsel and as trier of fact on some or all of the issues;
- ♦ 50 hours of approved civil trial law certification continuing legal education in the 3 years immediately preceding application;
- ♦ Peer review by lawyers and judges the lawyer has tried cases with; and,
- ♦ A written examination on civil procedure, the rules of professional conduct, the rules of evidence, trial procedure and more.
It is a commitment of time and effort that is rare in the profession. It shows that John is, indeed, an expert and specialist in civil trial law.